The Sky Tigers pride themselves on being a laid back and fun group of RC enthusiasts. But some rules and guidelines are always necessary to keep things safe and fun. Below are some club rules and guidelines.
Flying Site Safety Rules
- All pilots must be a current AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) member unless under the direct supervision of an AMA pilot conducting a training flight via a buddy box.
- All pilots should be familiar with and follow the Official AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code.
- Deliberate flying behind the flight safety line is prohibited.
- Flying over the highway is prohibited, as is flying over any of the houses, barns, or other structures of the landowner.
- Taxiing is not allowed in the pit area.
- Pilots should stand behind a designated pilot station while flying and should not block the taxiways.
- The maximum number of aircraft in the air at one time should not exceed the number of pilot stations. Exceptions can be made for special flight events such as battles/contests.
- Children are not permitted beyond the spectator area unless under the direct supervision of an adult or flight instructor. Exceptions can be made for children who are junior members and have a pilot rating.
- Flight direction is generally determined by wind direction, etc. However, pilots are expected to follow the flight pattern already established by any pilots already in the air. In other words, the first pilot in the air determines the pattern.
- Before powering up any equipment with a FPV video transmitter, efforts should be made ensure that no one else is currently flying on the same frequency.
- Aircraft must be facing the runway prior to engine start.
- Pilots should announce takeoffs and landings so that other pilots are aware and can accommodate.
- Aircraft that are landing have the right of way. Pilots calling out a dead stick or other urgent situation have the absolute right of way and all other aircraft should clear the runway area immediately.
- If a pilot must walk beyond the flight line to retrieve an aircraft he/she must call out “ON THE FIELD” to let other pilots know to keep clear.
- Model rocketry is permitted at the field. Common sense as well as the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code should be followed.
Flying Site Operational Rules
- Only Sky Tigers members shall have the combination to the locked entry gate.
- The last member to leave the field is responsible for ensuring that any equipment is powered down and everything is locked up. All guests must depart when the last member leaves.
- Never drive off of the designated Sky Tigers road. Never drive into or through the hay field.
- Guests who are current AMA members are allowed to fly at Sky Tigers a maximum of three times, after which the person must join Sky Tigers before flying at the field again.
- The field is always open for member flying. However, common sense should be used if the field is exceedingly muddy after days of heavy rainfall.
- DO NOT fly anywhere near any of the horses or riders who might be passing through the field. If in doubt, all aircraft should be grounded until the horses and riders have cleared the field.
- All pilots, including members, must be able to produce a valid and current AMA membership card upon request.
- Please do not litter or leave items behind when you leave the field. We want to keep our landowner happy.
- Mufflers are required on all gas or nitro engines.
- A first aid kit is hanging in the shelter, as is a fire extinguisher.